Wednesday, December 23, 2009

Where is the POWER?

God is awesome. I love how he whispers to my heart and invites me to go to a deeper place with Him. The deeper I go, the more I realize that there is a richness to life that he desires for me to experience. Life can be rich. Life should be rich. The place to find it is hidden deep in the Holy Spirit.

I was recently challenged by a very simple question that came in the form of a randomn thought: "Am I experiencing all that God has for me?" The more I thought about it, the more I realized that I have been limiting God by my small thinking. It's so easy to get into the habit of life and establish a routine that doesn't require God to come through with miracles. This is where I had been living. Consumed with the cares of the world. Praise God that he doesn't leave us there.

The God who has "measured the waters in the hollow of his hand," (Isaiah 40:12)is living inside me. This is a big deal. He is a God of miracles. The more I dive into Scripture, the more I realize that He is not who He's been made out to be by most American believers. We have settled for a safe version of Christianity (myself included). Because we don't have all the answers, we stop seeking. We have fallen into the plan of the enemy. The greatest tool we have as believers is the power of God within us. Isn't this how Jesus evangelized? People can't argue with miracles.

Sadly, many people have stretched the truth and have given many Christians a bad taste when it comes to the charismatic movement. Many people have gotten wacky and weird and called it God. I will be the first to agree with that. However, there still remains a simple question that we must answer: where is the power? If the same Holy Spirit who empowered Jesus is in me (us), why are the results so different? Why aren't people being healed and set free? Did God change His mind and decide that he now wants people to live in bondage? Was Jesus joking when he said that we would do the same things that He did? We need to wake up and snap out of our daze.

I don't have all the answers, but I'm asking and searching. We have to get back to the place where we are walking in the love and power of God. Religion can't save us. Other people aren't drawn to religion. They are drawn to love and power. This is exactly what God has richly placed in us. As for me, I am going to continue to accept His gracious invitation to go to a deeper place of understanding regarding the Holy Spirit. One of the greatest promises in the Bible is that He will answer if we simply ask. It may not be comfortable, but I'm tired of comfortable. I am ready to experience all that God has for me. What a rich life it will be!

No comments: