Thursday, September 29, 2011

The Victory Lap

I found myself smiling as I drove home from work yesterday because I knew that my family would greet me on the front porch, and once again, I would have the privilege of watching Avery take the "victory lap". The "victory lap" is what we have termed Avery's reaction to spotting my little white car approaching the house. She jumps off the porch and starts making laps around our front yard yelling, "Daddy!"

Yesterday's "victory lap" didn't disappoint. Avery made her usual laps around the yard, and then she quickly greeted me as I stepped out of the car. She lifted her arms and said, "Fly me, daddy!" I picked her up and proceeded to launch her into the air while she erupted with a cackle of a laugh. When she finally stopped laughing she said, "Fly me higher!" So, I happily agreed.

Our next door neighbors witnessed Avery's passionate greeting as they stood on their driveway watching. They smiled and said, "Enjoy it now. They don't do that when they are teenagers!" Sad but true...

Perhaps that's one of the reasons Jesus pointed to children and boldly exclaimed, "Unless you change and become like little children, you will never enter the kingdom of heaven." (Matthew 18:3) Children don't care what people think about them. Avery didn't temper her enthusiasm for daddy because there were people watching. I don't think she even realized they were there. Her focus was entirely on the fact that daddy was home, and it was time to play!

I am not the sharpest, but I do know when God is teaching me something. In that moment, God revealed his desire to be engaged in real relationship the way that Avery engages me. It's his passion. It's his heartbeat. Romans 8 says, "...The Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” (Romans 8:15) The word "Abba" means "daddy". That one word gives us a window into the heart of God, and it provides revelation into how personal God is.

I am convinced this is what we were created for. God is not an idea, concept, topic to debate, or a passive spectator to your life. He is the perfect Father who longs to be engaged on an intimate level. His posture towards you has never changed, nor will it ever.

The question is has our posture towards God changed? Has our passion for the Father dwindled because of the expectations of others? Are we fearful to engage him on a deeper level because of the opinions of others? Are we humble and courageous enough to possess the attitude of a child in our relationship to God?

The risk is that you may lose respect in the eyes of others. The gain is that you'll experience true life. Maybe you'll even experience your own cackle of a laugh as you discover his personality. He's been known to do that.

No comments: