Tuesday, January 1, 2013

Digging to China, Surfing, and New Year's Resolutions

When I was a young boy, I had the idea of digging an extremely long tunnel. The starting point would be my backyard, and the finish line would be China. I couldn’t wipe the smile off my face as I headed for the garage to pick up the shovel. My six-year-old brain had already plotted the course.
The plan was to dig several feet straight down, and then start heading west. I was optimistic that I could make it the fifteen miles to the Colorado state line. If I could make it that far, I reasoned, surely I could continue under the Rocky Mountains and through the under belly of California. If I made it that far, I said in my best Forrest Gump voice, I might as well keeeeep oooooon digging. Eventually I was slated to reemerge and breathe fresh air in China.  
I didn’t think through the details; I just started digging. I turned the earth’s soil for a few minutes—making it about 2.5 feet—before I started to realize the amount of work this endeavor was going to require.
I looked up a few moments later and saw my basketball lying next to my small dirt pile. I couldn’t resist. I dropped the shovel, picked up the ball, and proceeded to dribble through Jordan’s legs and kiss the ball off the backboard for the game-winning bucket. I hoisted the imaginary World Championship trophy in the air and pretended to be carried off the court (this is hard to do when you’re alone--thankfully I was alone).
A mere five minutes. That's how long it took me to forget about my dream of digging to China. I now had a new goal—playing in the NBA.
This is the time of year when we often consider goals. It’s a time to evaluate our lives and commit to making certain changes. I’ve already thought through a few of my own resolutions for the New Year, but I’m also aware that many of my previous resolutions haven’t exactly panned out.
I think many New Year’s resolutions follow the same general course as my dream of digging to China. It seems like a good idea at the time, so we commit to doing it. Then, we quickly realize that creating change requires hard work. After our initial enthusiasm begins to wane, we eventually give way to distraction and move on to something new.
Guilty as charged. I’ve made this mistake many times. I’ve also learned to go about goals and resolutions differently. In addition to jotting down a few things I’d like to see change, I’ve started asking God what He is up to in the upcoming year. God, what are you forming in me this year? What are you doing in my family? What are you building in my work?
Psalm 127 states, “Unless the LORD builds the house, the builders labor in vain.” (v.1) I can testify to the truth of that statement. Instead of charging out of the gate with our new resolutions, let’s slow down and ask God what He’s doing. We can be certain that God wants to see change more than we do, and He is much better at making it happen than we are.
In John 15, we see Jesus instructing His disciples on an important subject—producing fruit.
“I am the vine, you are the branches. He who abides in Me, and I in him, bears much fruit; for without Me you can do nothing. If anyone does not abide in Me, he is cast out as a branch and is withered; and they gather them and throw them into the fire, and they are burned. If you abide in Me, and My words abide in you, you will ask what you desire, and it shall be done for you. By this My Father is glorified, that you bear much fruit; so you will be My disciples.” (John 15: 5-8, NKJV)
Aren’t all New Year’s resolutions designed to produce results? In essence, this is fruit. Jesus explains that true and lasting fruit comes from abiding in Him. When we take the time to stay close to Him, to listen to what He’s saying, and to cooperate with what He’s doing, we’ll see remarkable results.
God has told me multiple times over the past few years to pay attention to what He’s doing rather than to guess or act upon my own ideas. This is an important issue to Him. He knows exactly what He’s after, and He invites us to become co-laborers in His important work.
I went surfing for the first time a few years ago, and I’ll never forget the exhilarating feeling of riding the first wave. The power of the ocean beneath my feet was unforgettable. In order to experience this feeling, I had to understand the idea of co-laboring.
My responsibility was to locate the waves, position myself on the board, wait for the right timing, paddle like crazy, and eventually pop up and enjoy the ride. The ocean’s responsibility was to provide the power and momentum to make it all possible.
When we fail to seek God in regards to what He’s doing, it’s essentially like trying to surf without the waves. We can position ourselves on the board and paddle until our arms fall off, but it'll be in vain. The two most important elements of surfing—spoken as someone who grew up on the beaches of Kansas—are to locate the waves and stay in alignment with where they’re going.
Similarly, it’s important to know what God is doing and keep ourselves in alignment with where He’s moving. This is abiding in Him. As we do this well, we’ll find ourselves relying on His power rather than our own will power. We’ll experience the exhilarating feeling of moving in step with the One who has power over all things.
I asked God last night what He was doing in my marriage in 2013. He responded by giving me two words: patience and proactivity. I knew where He was going right away. He’s looking for me to be more patient with Ashley, to seek to understand before I’m understood. I also knew what He was saying in regards to being proactive. Ashley’s love language is “acts of service.” Scrubbing the kitchen floor is worth more than two dozen roses in her book. God was gently telling me to be more proactive in how I serve my bride.
I sat back and began pondering what I could do around the house. He interrupted my thoughts and said…
Start with the toilets.
Exhilarating.

No comments: