Saturday, August 31, 2013

A Ruthless Friend?

An unusual friendship has been forming in my life lately. It has taken me by surprise, and to be honest, I’m not sure how much I enjoy it…or her.  

She’s a grumpy, crotchety ol’ thing who seems to receive great pleasure from intimidating others. Many people experience her for the first time and vow to never return.  One taste is simply enough. Perhaps it’s because of her affinity for placing her hands on a person’s throat and making it difficult for them to breathe. 

 I’ve experienced her wrath first-hand. She’s been known to punch me in the teeth and elbow me in the gut on a regular basis. Case in point, she sank her nails into my right calf (drawing blood) last week and bruised my hand simply because I wasn’t paying enough attention to her. Ruthless.
Despite her consistently foul temperament, I still find myself looking forward to our next meeting. I continue to knock on her door and seek out her company. Maybe it’s the way she makes me feel after our time together, or the way she’s teaching me about life, but she always leaves me coming back for more.

Let me assure you this is not a love affair. I’m officially off the market. Besides, she’s way too tall for me--I’m 5’7 on a good day and she’s over 2,000 feet tall. Her name is Miss Incline, and she makes her home at the base of America’s mountain—Pikes Peak.
Miss Incline may have a few more wrinkles and a few less teeth than twenty-five years ago—when she served as the railway that proudly ushered people to the incredible views at the top of Pikes Peak—but, those days are gone. She was hit hard by a rock slide in 1990 and deserted by the operators of the Cog Railroad. She’s never been the same since. I think if she were honest she would confess that she still feels the sting of abandonment, being cast aside for a newer and younger track that was built right next to her.

After her rejection by the railroad company, she was accepted with open arms by the hiking community. While it may have been difficult to accept her new role in the world, she was actually a perfect fit for the job. Hikers love (and hate) the fact that she maintains nearly perfect sitting posture—2,000 feet of elevation in less than a mile. At her best, her terrain is at a 68% grade.  Plus, she is still beautifully adorned with many of her former railroad ties which provide hikers with natural steps.  
Photo credit: Tom Carlson/Ashley Hernandez
Don’t be fooled though--she still has a thing or two to learn about hospitality. Wikipedia lists the following as hazards to bear in mind while enjoying her company: Storms, Great American Bears, venomous snakes, and mountain lions. In addition, the aging process has left her with exposed metal pipes that can slice your skin with the smallest misstep.

But, if you listen carefully to her silence and embrace her crude humor (false summit), you can learn a great deal about life.
She’s teaching me that a slow and steady pace often beats a sprint that’s destined to fizzle. Sometimes the hardest thing to do in life is to hold back on the throttle. If you're like me, it's far more natural to sprint out of the gate like your hair's on fire. I've learned through experience that it's a lot more efficient to slow down, develop a rhythm, and simply place one foot in front of the other as we move in the direction of our calling.
Miss Incline is also teaching me the importance of keeping my eyes focused on the next step. The reason she clawed me last week was because I was descending at a rapid pace while looking too far ahead. My feet and balance were clearly betrayed by my mind and attention. My body and PRIDE felt the blow as my brutal skid was in clear view of several other Incliners. I let out a groan while they tried to conceal their laughter (for the record, they failed miserably). The only one who was silent was Miss Incline, but her message was clearly noted—the most important step is the next step.

Lastly, my wretched and cranky friend is teaching me to enjoy the view in life. Sure, Miss Incline tries to suck the breath out of you while offering plenty of seemingly good reasons to cuss, but her stunning views are equally as breath-taking.
When I’m hiking, I have the choice to either focus on the pain or the beauty. The same can be said about our ascent in life.  I have often emphasized the pain, the negative, and what I perceive to be wrong in my life while neglecting the beautiful views offered by God.  I’m sure you’re well aware of the grueling circumstances in your life, but are you aware of what’s right? Are you pausing to enjoy the beauty that surrounds you?  Are you aware of how your Creator is currently working in your life?
These are a just a few of the lessons I’ve learned recently from my new, old friend.  While I have many reasons to despise her, she’s actually growing on me. I am slowly but surely developing a fondness for the silent teacher.

Who really knows where this new friendship is headed?  I certainly  don't want to get ahead of myself. After all, I may soon tire of the old geezer and settle back into a much more pleasant and comfortable friendship with….Miss Couch.
Now, there’s a ruthless friend. 

1 comment:

Ashley said...

I love your writing Mr. Michael Gabriel Jenkins!