Monday, February 21, 2011

A beautiful ending...

It's a sound that a man never wants to hear. It's worse than fingernails on a chalk board. Far worse than the intro song of What not to wear. It's the sound of a car smashing into another car, and it was one of the first things I heard yesterday morning. As I backed out of the garage, I drilled our explorer and spilled coffee all over myself. Not a good way to start the day. The rest of the day was a grind.

I finished my day with one of the sweetest sounds I've ever heard. As I rocked Avery to sleep, I started singing "Amazing Grace", and she started singing with me. It was amazing. Her soft and gentle two year old voice would repeat the words after I would sing them (she already sounds better than me!). The events of the day were a distant memory. They were washed away by the sweet sound of Avery's song. God redeemed the day. It made me think about all of the different ways God works redemption into our lives.

My life story is a story of redemption. I haven't always walked with God. I am not proud of some of the choices that I have made. But, God's redemptive hand has been upon my life. He turned my bad choices into something good. This is His heartbeat. He loves to come into messy lives and create something beautiful. Just before I fell asleep, my mind drifted back to the words we were singing. I didn't think about it at the time, but we were singing the song of redemption.

"Amazing Grace, how sweet the sound,
That saved a wretch like me.
I once was lost but now am found,
Was blind, but now I see."

No wonder the word Gospel means "good news".

No comments: