Wednesday, March 30, 2011

Brain Freeze and Hearts Ablaze



Meet Libby. She is a 7 year old Golden Retriever who is living a good life. My parents treat her like royalty-or at least like a human. She goes on four wheeler rides, eats human food, runs on a daily basis, watches Fox News on my dad's lap, and sleeps next to my mom. Libby didn't realize it at the time, but the day she became a "Jenkins" was the day her future started looking real bright. For a dog, it's all about the family that adopts you. It's the difference between getting a brain freeze eating ice cream, and perhaps, not eating at all.

The day a person says "yes" to Jesus is the day their future starts looking real bright. It's the day God adopts you and places you into His family. This is a far more significant truth than most people give it credit for (including myself). It's easy to think, "Sure God has adopted me-that's great...What's for lunch?" But I challenge you to do what I've been doing lately and stop to really think about who it is that adopted you. Think about who has now taken responsibility for your life? The God who breathed the stars into existence is calling you His child. The God who holds the oceans in the palm of His hand is carrying you close to His heart.

Now, think about the best parent you know. What makes them stand out as a great parent? I assume they are deeply involved in their child's life. They probably shower their child with unconditional love and support, in addition to providing for all of their material needs. It's what good (or "evil") parents do.

9 “Which of you, if your son asks for bread, will give him a stone? 10 Or if he asks for a fish, will give him a snake? 11 If you, then, though you are evil, know how to give good gifts to your children, how much more will your Father in heaven give good gifts to those who ask him! Matthew 7:9-11

The point of this passage is not to say all parents are evil. Jesus is simply highlighting how amazing our Heavenly Father is! As a Father, He is in a league of His own. In the same way that a son/daughter has full access to their dad, you have been given full access towards God. All of His thoughts towards you are pure and loving, and He thinks about you all the time. He smiles at you constantly. He loves you.

I've been pondering lately whether I am receiving all that God has for me as His son. I've been asking for a deeper understanding of what it means that he has given me the "spirit of sonship" (Romans 8). I don't want to simply know in my mind that I am a son of God; I want the truth to burn daily in my heart. I want it to affect everything I do. After all, it's all about the family that a person is placed into. Take heart, my friends, your future is secure.

No comments: