Thursday, December 13, 2012

"Holy Cow"



I looked like a deer in headlights.

Ashley had already told me multiple times what she wanted for Christmas, but when she asked me a few days ago if I remembered, my mind drew a big fat blank. 

It was one of those awkward moments where we sat there staring at each other. I was trying for the life of me to recall her wish list. I knew what she wanted, but my brain felt numb.

“You don’t remember what I want!” she said in a half-joking-half-serious tone. The silence was thundering. The awkwardness grew by the moment.  “Yes, I remember,” I said while trying my best to stall, “You want a…….”

She leaned in as if to say, “Come on….This shouldn’t be so difficult.” But, as hard as I tried, I couldn’t think of what she had asked for. 

I eventually remembered, but the damage had already been done. Thankfully she was a good sport and forgave my cognitive lapse.  I made a mental note that I better go above and beyond this Christmas season to show her that I really did know what she wanted. 

The truth is that I really do enjoy talking to Ashley. There’s nobody I enjoy being with more than my bride. At the same time, it’s sometimes easy to allow my mind to wander and focus on distractions when we’re together—work, school, responsibilities of being a dad, financial responsibilities, and the long list of other items that require my attention. They are good things, but I must keep them in their proper time and place. If I don’t, I will forfeit the rich blessing of knowing my wife on a deeper level.

I’ve sensed God saying lately, Gabe, lean in to your wife. You’ll discover so much about me by simply paying attention to her heart. You may even be surprised by what you find.

Speaking of being surprised, Ashley and I went to Avery’s preschool play this morning. It was a blast to watch my little blue-eyed beauty stand on stage and sing along with the other kids. I glanced down at the program and saw something that was quite funny. The teachers had asked each three and four year old what their MOMMY wanted for Christmas this year. Avery’s response is highlighted below:


Apparently, Ashley wants a cow. 

And she had the nerve to be upset that I didn’t know…

No comments: