Monday, December 3, 2012

The Here and Now



I stumbled upon these pictures recently, and I was once again reminded of the powerful truth they convey. The pictures were taken when Avery was visiting my mom and dad in Kansas--although I think Libby was the one who really assumed the babysitting responsibilities. These two buddies simultaneously experienced the reality that the grass is not always greener on the other side.

Can you relate? How often do we find ourselves doing the same thing? We set our sights on something we think we really want, and then once we experience it, we begin to think about how good we had it in the past. This happens with relationships, jobs, responsibility, material items, and a long list of other things.

The problem with this illusion is that it causes us to forfeit what God has placed in front of us NOW. We are ignorant of today's blessings, because we're too busy chasing what we think we want. In reality, isn't this the same trap Adam and Eve fell into? They refused to embrace the wonder of God's presence and friendship because they wanted something more. They valued what God devalued and devalued what God valued. While it's easy to label them as bone-headed, it's even easier to make the same mistake.

 I have been guilty of this more than I care to admit, but I have also discovered the truth of David's words from Psalm 23: "The Lord is my shepherd, I lack nothing." (v. 1)

Everything we truly need to be content and joyful has already been offered to us in Jesus. As we engage Him in the present moment and pay attention to what He's doing and saying, we'll experience the abundant life He alone can deliver.

This Christmas season, the advertising bombardment will surely continue. Their message is clear--you need this. However, I believe there is a quite different message coming from the same mouth that breathed the stars into existence:

You need me.

No comments: