Tuesday, June 25, 2013

Flying Upside Down

Sophie has a new favorite game. She’ll walk up to me, turn around, and say, “FWY ME!” I’ll proceed to grab her by the ankles and spin her around upside down while she lets out a cackle of a laugh. As much as she loves to fly upside down, she always has a tough time letting go and fully trusting that I have her.


The question on the table for her two-year-old-mind to consider is this:  Is daddy strong enough to handle me or do I need to use my own strength to ensure my safety? It’s pretty obvious that my hands are stronger and more capable than Sophie’s little fingers, but I can also relate with her hesitancy to release control.
There are areas of my own life where I sense the Father saying, Let go and trust Me. Place this in My hands. I’m essentially left to ponder the same question as Sophie: Is God strong enough to handle this, or do I need to maintain my white knuckled grip?

Jesus walked in perfect Sonship. He understood the strength, faithfulness, and love of the Father. If anyone had reason to take matters into His own hands, it would be Jesus. He was falsely accused, arrested, mocked, and nailed to a cross. And yet, He responded in the most amazing way.

He did not retaliate when He was insulted,
nor threaten revenge when He suffered.
He left His case in the hands of God,
who always judges fairly. (1 Peter 2:23)


He left His case in the hands of God. He trusted that God’s hands were strong enough to take care of Him. And if we back up a few verses, we read the following: He is your example, and you must follow in His steps. (1 Peter 2:21) In the same way that Jesus left His case in the hands of God, we are called to do the same on a daily basis.
Easier said than done?
I think it helps to ponder the following questions:

1.       Is God able to handle the issue?
2.       Does God care enough to intervene?
 
It goes without saying that God’s hands are stronger than mine. Consider the following truth from Scripture:

Who has measured the waters in the hollow of His hand,
And marked off the heavens by the span,
And calculated the dust of the earth by the measure,
And weighed the mountains in a balance
And the hills in a pair of scales? (Isaiah 40:12)


God scoops up the oceans and holds them in the palm of His hands. As for me, I think I can hold about 8 ounces.
Yes, God is stronger and more capable than me. The more prevalent question is in regards to whether God will actually intervene? Does He care? Can we trust Him? Again, let’s back up and look at the preceding verse:

He will feed his flock like a shepherd.
He will carry the lambs in His arms,
holding them close to His heart.
He will gently lead the mother sheep with their young. (Isaiah 40:11)
The exact same hands that measure the oceans hold us close to His heart. The same hands that measure the expanse of the heavens are used to feed, nourish, and care for us. And these hands have been pierced on our behalf.

The holes in Jesus' hands demonstrate His faithfulness. Why would He endure the brutality of Roman crucifixion to then back away and become disengaged? The reality is that He cares about you more than you care about you, and because of this we can trust Him.
Casting the whole of your care [all your anxieties, all your worries, all your concerns, once and for all] on Him, for He cares for you affectionately and cares about you watchfully. (1 Peter 5:7 AMP)

I want to encourage you to pause and consider if there is anything you need to release today? Fear? Worry? Doubt? I believe God is beckoning you to cast your cares into His reliable hands. He wants you to release your feeble fingers and trust His grip.
Essentially, He invites you to fly upside down.

And I'm confident you'll enjoy the ride.

No comments: