Thursday, April 16, 2009

The Danger of Honesty

Being honest with God is a beautiful but dangerous thing. It's beautiful because it's the first step to finding freedom. It's dangerous because it usually leads to God asking you to leave your comfort zone. I have spent a good portion of the past several days searching my heart and asking God real questions. I'm learning that he likes it when we're honest with him. I have lived most of my life ignoring some of the key issues that God is wanting to fix in my heart. The longer I ignore these issues, the more I begin to experience symptoms that something is not right. The longer I live with the symptoms, the more I begin to think it's normal. This is the path that most people travel down when their freedom is stolen. Look around and watch people live. How many people do you know that are living in the freedom that is rightfully ours as children of God? Can you even think of anybody? Thankfully, the Gospel is full of good news. Jesus will rescue your heart. Jesus truly will set you free. It's a journey. It's a process that he will take you through. I believe the first step is simply being honest with God about your heart and your life. If you are lacking passion, tell him. If you are lacking vision for your life, tell him. He's not suprised. If you are tired of people, tell him. If you read the Bible because you feel like you have to, tell him. If your prayer life is monotanous, tell him. As you are honest with him, expect him to be honest back. It is indeed a beautiful but dangerous invitation.

Below are some verses that I have been meditating on lately:

Proverbs 20:5 "The purposes of a man's heart are deep waters, but a man of understanding draws them out."

Jeremiah 33:3 "Call to me and I will answer you and tell you great and unsearchable things you do not know."

No comments: