Monday, May 9, 2011

Messy Fingers and Clean Pages

Avery and I recently embarked on another daddy-daughter date, and it was wonderful as usual. As we pulled into the parking lot at Chic-Fil-A, the smile on her face communicated that I had chosen correctly. She knew she was about to enjoy some quality chicken nuggets, play time on their slide, and some time with dad.

What she didn't realize was that there would be an added bonus to this particular date. As we sat there enjoying our meals and each other's company, I could tell Avery had spotted something interesting over my shoulder. In fact, her eyes about popped out of her head as soon as she saw "it". I turned to see what she was looking at, and sure enough, the Chic-Fil-A cow was officially in the building. She started bouncing in her seat and pointing at the large bovine. I was also happy to see the cow, even though I knew it would steal her attention for the rest of our meal. Stinking cow....

Avery spent the next several minutes waving at the cow from a distance, and making "moooo" noises. She laughed the whole time. I was still trying hopelessly to engage her in conversation, but it wasn't happening. I soon joined her in making "moooo" noises.

The cow slowly began to make its way in our direction, and I watched as Avery's look changed from fascination to uncertainty. The waving and "moooing" stopped, and it wasn't long before she was quite scared.




I stopped recording and quickly picked Avery up to comfort her (she gave me a big ketchup fingers hug--love it!), and I assured her that, "Daddy wouldn't let the cow hurt her." She eventually calmed down, and started waving at the cow again--from a safe distance.

The friendly Chic-Fil-A cow is quite harmless--especially when dad is present. I'm not going to let anything near Avery that will harm her. She is safe because she is with me. She is safe because of my great love for her. In the heat of the moment, she forgot that simple truth and allowed fear to grip her heart.

This happens to all of us from time to time. We forget who our Heavenly Father is, and we allow fear to grip our heart. The truth is that we have nothing to fear. You are safe because of the Father's great love for you. You are safe because of the Father's presence. You are safe because you are his son/daughter, and He has taken responsibility for your life.

14 For those who are led by the Spirit of God are the children of God. 15 The Spirit you received does not make you slaves, so that you live in fear again; rather, the Spirit you received brought about your adoption to sonship. And by him we cry, “Abba, Father.” 16 The Spirit himself testifies with our spirit that we are God’s children. Romans 8:14-16.

The Scriptures reveal to us that as we grow in our understanding of "sonship", fear will lose its place in our hearts. When we understand the true nature of God as our Father, nothing can scare or shake us. If God is for us, who can be against us? When we misunderstand the true nature of God, we give fear a place to abide. Simply put, fear is a result of a misunderstanding of the Father's nature.

I recently noticed that I had been allowing a fear of rejection to linger in my heart. It had affected my behavior and resulted in timidity in certain areas of my life. Armed with the understanding that fear is a result of believing a lie, I went to God and asked him to reveal the lie that had made a subtle home in my heart.

God is faithful. Not only did He reveal the lie, but he also revealed the truth. I didn't have to twist his arm to show me the truth; He had been waiting patiently for me to ask. I renounced the lie, and took hold of the truth. Before long, I experienced the welcomed arrival of freedom (John 8:32).

God's answer to my question surprised me. He gently revealed that I didn't fully trust Him. When I asked how I develop a deeper trust, He replied, "Start with a clean page and find out who I truly am." That was a bit of a shock. I could have responded in a prideful way. After all, I've been walking with Christ for many years. I am a pastor, and my job is to represent God--surely I know Him. I'm glad I accepted His offer, because it's been amazing to watch him re-reveal Himself. In some cases he simply reminded me of things I had forgotten, and in other cases He revealed amazing new revelation of His heart. As I grew in my understanding of His perfect love, fear was cast out (1 John 4:18).

I believe God wants to spend some quality time with you. Get away with Him and ask if you've allowed fear to entangle itself within your heart. Maybe you already know the answer, and you can simply skip to the next question--what lie have I believed, and what is the truth? Stay with the question until you get an answer. It will surely come. Then, take hold of the truth and meditate upon it. Write it down and place it where you can see it daily. Allow it to take root in your heart. As a good steak marinates in special sauce, let your heart marinate in the truth. You will like the result.

Looking back, the fear that I allowed to affect my heart was just as silly as Avery's fear of the "high-fiving" cow. When we see truth clearly, all fear is exposed and put in its proper place. Remember, you are not slaves of fear, but you are a son and daughter of the Most High God. God is calling you to live a fear-free, abundant life. Take Him up on the offer.

Start with a clean page.

No comments: