Friday, November 23, 2012

The Familiar Grin



As much as I enjoyed playing baseball, I was probably a less than average pitcher. In fact, not only was my shoulder sore after pitching a game, but turning my head to watch one ball after the next fly over the fence made my neck sore, too. 

There was one particular game though where I experienced a break from the familiar sounds that accompanied my pitching performance—“ball 4!” and “WHACK!” The events of that day still bring a smile to my face.

I was standing on the pitcher’s mound waiting to start when it became apparent that we were missing the umpire. I could see the director of our league frantically looking for the person she had hired to call the game. A few more minutes passed before I saw someone walk onto the field wearing the typical umpire's uniform.  I took a closer look at the smile behind the mask, and I realized I recognized that grin.

 For whatever reason, the regularly scheduled umpire never showed up that day, and the director was forced to replace him with any willing volunteer. In this case, that would be Scott Jenkins—my brother. I laughed out loud when I discovered he would be calling the balls and strikes. 

The other team’s fans certainly weren’t laughing once they saw his generous strike zone. At one point, my offering went awry and missed the plate by nearly a foot. Scott paused, stood up, and while trying not to laugh, yelled, “STRIIIIKE!”  

A barrage of insults and criticism quickly followed, which only served to expand his already favorable strike zone. It’s amazing how my confidence grew by the pitch. My fast ball miraculously sped up, and my non-existent curve ball starting smelling like stinky cheese.

I was favored, and I enjoyed every moment. 

Favor is a beautiful thing. Simply put, it’s undeserved kindness. If you knew how I had tattled on and nagged my older brother growing up, you would agree his kindness was undeserved. Experiencing his favor turned my heart towards him. He made a statement on that afternoon that he was for me, and the result was a strengthened friendship. This is why it's so important to understand God's favor towards us. 

The Christmas story is a story of favor. You can’t grasp the reality of what happened with the baby in the manger without recognizing the unimaginable and undeserved kindness of God towards His people.  Look closely at what the angels proclaimed after His birth:

“Glory to God in the highest heaven,
    and on earth peace to those on whom his favor rests.”  Luke 2:14

God’s favor rested on a rebellious and nearly faithless people.  Their darkness didn’t dictate His response, but rather His nature penetrated their darkness. The same is true today. God doesn’t treat us as our sins deserve, but His kindness leads to repentance and into a greater revelation of who He is. 

We were created to experience His favor on a daily basis. I am convinced that He is reminding us of this as we go about our hurried lives.  Do we recognize His whisper and His kindness in the clutter of the world?

This Christmas Season, let’s possess eyes to see and ears to hear. Let the wonder of the season return. Open your heart and receive the favor of your Creator.

24 ‘May the Lord bless you
and protect you.
25 May the Lord smile on you
and be gracious to you.
26 May the Lord show you his favor
and give you his peace.’  Numbers 6:24-26

And may you laugh out loud when you see Him show up in the most unusual places, sporting that familiar grin.

No comments: