Tuesday, November 27, 2012

Five Minute Experiment



When I think of “experiment”, my mind instantly goes back to my freshman year at Colby Community College. I was an 18 year old kid ready to experience all that college had to offer—and maybe learn a thing or two along the way. 

One of my first classes was a chemistry course taught by a highly esteemed professor named Dr. Max Pickerill.  Students called him “Pick”. He was a bright, witty man in his mid seventies who talked with a deep gruff in his voice and had a knack for cigarettes. 

In fact, he would teach with a cigarette in one hand and a piece of chalk in the other. When we moved from the classroom to the chemistry lab, his cigarette always went with him. Now, I was already nervous enough about the idea of experimenting with dangerous chemicals while surrounded by a bunch of rookie chemists who were probably still hung over from the night before.   I didn’t need the added pressure of the professor walking around the lab with a lit cigarette. 

On one particular occasion, while I had already mixed several chemicals together and was thoroughly confused regarding what I was actually doing, Pick walked up to me with his lit cigarette and began adjusting my chemical solution with the same hand his cigarette was in. I was convinced I was mere seconds away from losing my eyebrows.  I didn’t pray much in college, but I called out to God in that moment!

Not only did Pick help my prayer life, but he actually taught me a great deal about chemistry. He also taught me that experimenting often leads to new insight and knowledge.

I sensed God pose an experiment idea to me recently. The idea was to grab a piece of paper and pen and simply sit before Him for five minutes thinking about nothing except the reality of His amazing presence in my life. 

This should have been an easy experiment. I am talking about the same Spirit that “hovered over the waters at creation”. (Gen 1:2) What was the result of that? Everything your eyes behold today. This exact Spirit not only hovers over me, but He actually resides within me! Why would it be so difficult to fix my mind on this awesome truth for five minutes? 

I made it less than a minute before my mind started replaying certain events of the day. One particular thought led to another and to another, and it wasn’t long before I realized I had not only chased the rabbit down the trail, but I followed him all the way into his burrow. 

I failed my experiment. I had completely forgotten about God’s presence in about 23 seconds. I wrote down everything that I had thought about in that five minute time frame, and then I began to evaluate why these thoughts hijacked my attention.  The common theme was worry and anxiety over things that don’t really matter. 

With my list of hijacking thoughts and concerns staring me in the face, I began to obey the Scriptures by “taking every thought captive” and “casting my cares upon Him”.  This was a powerful experience that yielded great fruit. After all, I then tried the experiment again and made it 42 seconds. Progress, my friends.

I encourage you to find time and engage this same experiment. Sit with God and set your mind on the indescribable gift of His presence for the next five minutes. Make a list of any thoughts and concerns that derail you, and cast those into God’s reliable hands. 

Why not? What do you have to lose? 

It won’t be your eyebrows.

No comments: